Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Kothimbiriche Lonache (Coriander Herb Pickle)


I was gifted “Ruchira” (Author- Mrs. Kamlabai Ogale). Its book full of traditional Maharashtrian recipes. I love making something from it once in a while. It reminds me of my grandmother stories….I had tried this one and my parents had come over to stay for some days, they loved this pickle so much, that he took it along with him while going back!! :P
Ingredients
1 bunch of Coriander fresh herbs finely chopped
4 to 5 Green Chillies (Chopped in small pieces)
4 to 5 Dry dates (Kharik) chopped in pieces
3” ginger finely chopped
2 tbspn. Jaggery
Lemon Juice (2 medium size lemons)
5 tspn. Fenugreek seeds (methi)
Salt to taste
Oil, Mustard Seeds, Cumin seeds, asafetida (hing) for tempering
Method
Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida, after seeds sputter, add fenugreek seeds, and fry them till golden brown. Then, add chopped Coriander. Cover it and let it cook for a while on steam, then add chopped ginger, chopped dry dates and jiggery, fry it for a while without covering. Switch off the flame. Keep it to cool, and then add lemon juice and salt. Mix it well.
The pickle is ready! It can stay good without refrigerating for four days and if refrigerated can be relished for months together!

8 comments:

FH said...

Hi Aditi, thanks for visiting me, hope to see you again there.

This dish is unique, looks delicious. I don't think I have tasted this before. Good one, enjoy blogging! :)

Cham said...

Hi Aditi,
The pickle is very glossy and very different, must taste great too!

Uma said...

A new recipe to me. Mouth-watering. Looks great.

Nithya Praveen said...

Hey Aditi,first time to ur blog...u have a wonderful blog here.Never thot abt coriander in a pickle...sounds new to me...looks wonderful.

Trupti said...

wow Aditi lonache mast ch disat aahe.

First time here u have a very nice collection od recipes

Vani said...

That sounds delicious, Aditi! Just raed about your copycat woes and glad it's sorted out. WOrse when it's someone you knew right?

Meera said...

Wow!! That's delicious.

Preety said...

coriander pickle..gr8 idea..new recipe to me..